The Trinidad Express reports that
An elderly German couple who have been coming to vacation in Tobago for several years were found hacked to death along Minister’s Bay, Bacolet Beach, yesterday morning.
Tobago police were alerted to the gruesome discovery around 10 a.m. by two people who were walking along the beach.
Retired German couple Birgid and Hubertus Keil were found chopped to death, metres apart.
Police are yet to confirm a motive for Tobago’s latest tragedy as all items at the couple’s home, located in
Bacolet Crescent, were untouched.
Police officials visited the couple’s residence following the discovery of their bodies.
The husband was said to be in his 70s and his wife in her 60s.
Officers said two people stumbled on the body of Birgid Keil and called for help.
When officers arrived and were about to leave the scene around 12.30 p.m., the body of her husband, Hubertus Keil, was discovered some 400 feet (122 metres) away from the woman.
Both bodies bore gaping chop wounds to the back of their necks.
A defensive wound was also
observed on the left hand of Keil, suggesting he may have struggled with his attacker.
Police suspect the bodies may have been on the beach for one or two days.
The couple arrived in Tobago three weeks ago.
Neighbours said they usually visited the island every October and vacationed on the island until March.
Officers had no motive for the killings as the couple’s house keys and cellular phones were found on them.
The bodies were positively identified by property manager Brian Abraham.
District Medical Officer of Health Dr Leslie Garbar ordered the bodies removed to the Scarborough mortuary.
An autopsy is to be performed to determine the cause of death. Scarborough homicide investigators are continuing investigations.
The killings put Tobago’s murder toll at seven for
the year so far.
The couple’s house is within walking distance of the Bacolet home that belonged to Peter and Murium Green, who were chopped viciously on August 1, 2009.
The Greens recovered after extensive surgery and have not returned to Tobago.
Police said one possibility was that the man who attacked
the Greens may also have been responsible for the attack on the German couple.
Contacted for a comment on the matter yesterday, Peter Green said he and his wife were made aware of the double murder.
“It has come at a time when we were getting ready to make statements about our attack,” Peter Green said.
In an immediate response to the couple’s deaths, representative for the largest German tour operator Patrick Dankou said yesterday he learned of the incident when the Sunday Express contacted him.
Dankou said he was in a state of shock and disbelief.
“After years of incidents, Tobago has since seen a recovery in international arrivals. This will have a serious impact on international arrivals to Tobago, especially for the upcoming bumper season previously projected. Some cancellations might be forthcoming. All information on the attack of these visitors must be investigated thoroughly,” Dankou said.